Monday, October 25, 2021

Professor Valentino

One of the more surprisingly controversial things I wrote about in Affairs Valentino involved my claim Valentino did not read all those books he owned. According to Ullman, he read mostly sporting journals and auction catalogs. Bill Self told me how Alberto said the only book his brother Rudolph ever read cover to cover was The Sheik.

I think Ullman used the image of a scholarly Valentino, book and pipe in hand, wearing a tweed suit coat, etc., to elevate his image far above the “Sheik” stereotype. “Professor Valentino” was a performance most likely.

Ullman also mentions how Rudy asked him to find some college textbooks for him to read. But Ullman comments they mostly were left unread. I do not think this lack of book reading was anything which diminished his intelligence or knowledge. But there have been people who were angered I reported he was not an avid reader.

I did not say that. Those around him did. He collected books and posed with them but did he read them all? Maybe if he had lived he would have had time.