Saturday, August 7, 2021

True Love

In my opinion, my previous Natacha article post was somewhat ghostwritten fluff. But I can not go so far as to think she did not know about it. She would never have allowed someone to just hijack her identity. Perhaps she did call a lawyer but back then the circulation of something like that was not so long lasting. Now an article like that is world wide instantly and there forever.

Her maternal instincts being the reason she fell in love with Rudy? I go both ways because she did worry about him. But that is not “mothering” it is being in love with someone.

I think the mothering claim is sexist in that it over simplifies their relationship. Good lord I almost find it offensive. Perhaps this truly gave birth to the current cackling mother hens who fantasize mothering the man.

The value of that piece I posted was, for me, in the image. The person who sent it to me mentioned the “placement” of the image. And that is, indeed, fabulous. The actual article for me read as 1920's pandering to love nurses. And that is a rather disturbing fantasy to me... someone who wants to baby a man forever. Not Natacha Rambova at all in my opinion.

I think the opposite was true of Rambova and Valentino. That was not a “mother/son” relationship. They fought, they fought hard and made up. It was sexual, complicated and I think the night Ullman writes about explains the actual dynamic. She was out late, came home to Rudy who was in a jealous and violent rage... Ullman is sent home to draft a divorce and when he came back in the morning they had spent the night in bed together. Probably safe to presume they were not playing canasta.

Relationships like theirs were not the “norm” then and even when I grew up women were imprinted very early on...and taught to shut up and worship the men in their lives. Natacha was way ahead of her time. She did mother those tiny dogs she carried everywhere but I for one do not think she mothered any of the men she loved. (below some of my Instagram art)